28 January 2009

Eva Braun's Cows

So. As I start this blog, I am currently reading "The Lost Life of Eva Braun". I usually find that my current book choice can be traced in a linear or non-linear fashion from a book previously read. In this case I started with a history of the Mitford sisters of Britain, which led me to The Pursuit of Love and Love in a Cold Climate, both by Nancy Mitford, which led to "A Life of Contrasts" by Diana Mitford. Hitler's relationship with Unity Mitford (full name "Unity Valkyrie Mitford", conceived in Swastika, Canada- no foolin'. Was anyone MORE destined to have relationship with Hitler?) led me to Eva Braun. I usually choose the biographies of women. I don't know why. But next in this family tree of books will be Evelyn Waugh's "Vile Bodies" and "Hons and Rebels" by Jessica Mitford. Then I believe I will be done with the Mitfords for some time. 
Anyway, so Eva Braun. The author says that there are a billion biographies of Hitler, but only two on Eva. If she hadn't been involved with Hitler, there would probably be two less, so far she seems quite unremarkable. But the times that she lived through were so remarkable, and this, in itself, makes for interesting reading. 
I've wanted to read a biography of Hitler for some time. But all the ones I've seen have been so intimidating that I've steered clear. I find though, that I'm more interested in the pre-war days, the "failed artist" days. I always wonder what could make someone who wanted to be an artist, become a dictator? This book briefly states that his failure as an artist led to his, later rampant, then burgeoning, anti-Semitism. I've always wanted to paint well, but have never been able to. It's made me into a rampant anti-Crayola. 
So, thus far, I'm finding the Hitler bits more riveting than the Eva bits. I'm up to Hitler taking control of the NSDAP (later Nazi party), which started out with 50 members when he joined and he multiplied the membership by about 60000% by his powers of oration. He made friends in the right places, one of them being a man called Putzi Hanfstaengl, who I note for two things, the stupidest name I've read in a long time and for introducing Unity to Hitler. 
Eva and Hitler are just about to meet. I can't say for certain, because I haven't read the book, but I think things are going to turn out smashingly for the two of them. I love a good love story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment